Monday 13 January 2014

My first trip to Cyprus 24th November 2013

In November 2013 I had a week off and decided I would visit Cyprus, the weather in England was cold & wet, the weather in Cyprus is usually warm & sunny with daytime temperatures reaching about 21-23 degrees Celsius. Easy Jet fly to Paphos from London Gatwick, with the flight departing about 07.30. I had decided to stay the night in Masslink Guest House in Horley. As part of the service the guest house offer a taxi to the airport, so I was refreshed for the day ahead.

After the flight we arrived in Paphos at 14.05, and went outside  to catch the 612 bus at 14.35 to Paphos harbour bus station, and I soon realised the scenery & architecture was so different to that in England. Pahphos has relics from pre-Roman, Roman, Colonial & modern times. I need to get another bus (618) to the Karavella Bus station where I had to wait for a bus to get me to Polis Chrysochous  (a 645 due at 17.00). However the sun was shining and I spoke with a German traveller (going to Nicosia) while I was waiting for the bus.
The 645 was a large coach, and many working people also joined the bus with me. Cyprus bus services are subsidised and each journey is 1 Euro 50, including the 30 km trip to Polis. Journey time about 56 minutes. When I arrived the owner of the Mariela hotel met me and he drove me to the hotel and I checked in with him, while I had a glass of beer and a piece of cake. I had an apartment which included a kitchen/bedroom/living room and an ensuite bathroom. I went in to the town and tried to find somehwere to buy some supper, but decided as there was nothing suitable opened I bought some bread, Tea, milk and beer from a local supermarket (just before it closed). In my apartment I also had a TV, which had some English speaking & music channels and wi-fi.

No comments:

Post a Comment