Saturday 11 January 2014

A weekend by Lake Constance (Bodensee) Saturday 12th January 2013

In January 2013, my niece Hannah was working in Friedrichshafen in Germany as part of her degree course. Hannah was studying German & Russian languages at Durham University.
In January 2013, I had a "long" weekend plus some annual leave I needed to take, and so I planned a short break. Conveniently Monarch Airlines operate flights from London Gatwick to Friedrichshafen. I had an early start on the Saturday 12th and set off from Calcot by National Express Coaches to Gatwick, which arrived in good time for the 07.30 flight, which arrived Friedrichshafen about 10am local time. The airport is close to the railway and in about 10 minutes after walking to the station I was able to catch a train to Friedrichshafen Stadt station. I met Hannah outside the station, and she showed me around the city, including a leafy park which has many statues.

 We walked to the Schlossturm (Castle tower) & returned to climbed an observation tower by the harbour from which we saw the lake (Constance) Switzerland & Austria on the other side. As the sun was shining, we sat outside and had our lunch and drinks (cauliflower & celery soup & passion-fruit juice) from the "Kaffee, Wein, Brot" cafe (one of the many bars and cafe on the harbour-side)

After lunch we took a local bus to Landradsampt (called in at Hannah's flat after shopping at a local supermarket), and then a bus to Meersburg, a quaint lake-side village with a castle & half-timbered houses. We visited one of the cafes which overlook the lake & served tea and cakes. On the lake-side there is a "Magic pillar"

As the darkness started falling on us we took a bus from the Ferry point back to Landradsampt, and we had supper at Hannah's flat, I also met some of her friends. We had risotto. Hannah & I took the train to "Ost" (East) station & we found the DJH Hostel, where I checked in and after chatting to a young couple I had an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment