Friday 13 September 2013

A weekend in Slovakia part 1

Friday 6th September 2013
This is an account on how I reached Bardejov and spent the weekend with my friends there.
I needed to be awake @ 02.30, as I had booked a taxi for 03.25 to Reading Station. I caught the 03.54 FGW to London Paddington (165-114) & then a 23 bus to Liverpool Street. On the 05.55 Stansted Express to Stansted airport which arrived 06.44, this allowed me the necessary time to pass through a crowded security checking area, and still had time for a hot chocolate & muffin. The Flight to Krakow was Ryanair FR2432 arrived 12.05. After passing through passport control I caught the Shuttlebus 19 to Krakow Balice railway station & then took the Train to Krakow Glowny 12.30-12.49. I went to the bus station and waited because at 13.30 there was a bus to Krynica Zdroj (Spa) via Bzesno,  Czcho,  Nowy Sacz, Nowa  Wies,  Krzykowa & arrived Krynica 16.50. Krynica is a popular spa town in south-eastern Poland at the foot of the Beskidy mountains. I had some time before Jitka & Rasty were due to arrive to explore the town, the river, interesting buildings & park. I  visited the park, walked along the river & met many young people who had just completed a "fun" run & took photos of  a pijalnia (a building which contains several taps which visitors can taste the mineral waters) & the statue of Lemk artist Nikiforsa, who lived in Krynica. His art can be compared with British artist LS Lowry.
When Jitka & Rasty arrived we went by car straight to Bardejov, passing some attractive villages with wooden churches (cerkwie) in Wojkowa, Muszynka & Tylicz. We had a little drive around the outside of this fortified city. The historical centre is now closed to traffic. I will write more about historical and modern Bardejov in another account soon, as Jitka & I visited the town late Sunday afternoon.
At Jitka's & Rasty's we had supper, beer & slivovice. Later we went to a pub, where we sat outside & met some of their friends. During  the evening there was a football match between Slovakia & Bosnia & Hercegovina. We finished the evening by visiting a cellar-bar & watched a live gig (where the band had reformed for their 10th anniversary). They played rock music.

No comments:

Post a Comment