Tuesday 24 September 2013

Weekend in Slovakia, my final day in Krakow

Tuesday 10th September
Although these episodes of my travelogue are titled "Weekend in Slovakia" my final day was spend in Krakow, covering a waking tour of the former Jewish areas of Kazimierz & Podgorze.

I had spent the night in the B-Movie hostel & I was up about 7.50, having corn-flakes, tea & toast for breakfast. I met several of the guests including Helena & Catherine. The sun shone and it became pleasently warm. I walked to the centre and arrived at about 10am to meet Tomek in Plac Mariacka/Rynek & many other visitors who were joining us for the free walking tour. Based on the Jewish history & including stops in Kazimierz & Podgorze. We also learned about the bread rolls which are sold in the streets of Krakow, zapiekanky from the stands in Plac Nowy, a new foot bridge which is popular with young people who use padlocks (lovers' name engraved) to show their devotion & commitment.
Our tour finished outside the former Oskar Schindler factory, which contains a museum, not just devoted to Oskar Schindler, but also to Krakow, the Cracovian people at the time of the second world war.
After saying "goodbye" to everyone I went to Plac Nowy and bought for my lunch a Zapiekanka Polska from one of the stalls. I then returned to the hostel, collected my bag, and took a No 52 tram at 15.00 to Dworzec Glowny (trailer 567) and then travelled on the 15.35 train to Balice, then a shuttle bus to Terminal 1 of Jan Paul II Airport. Quick through security, time for a Tyskie beer & chatted to couple while waiting to be called to the aeroplane. We then waited in line to board Airbus 380-800 EI-EFS which left Krakow on time & arrived ahead of schedule. While leaving the plane I started talking with a Polish lady called Wioleta. Quick through customs I was on the 19.45 Stansted express to London Liverpool Street. Underground train at 20.40- Liverpool St-Paddington (Hammersmith & City), FGW HST to Reading
and a No 26 bus back home to Calcot.

No comments:

Post a Comment